Sunday, January 3, 2016

Holly's Discussing #1: Unpopular Opinions on Books

Note from Maha: Please welcome Holly to the blog! She's going to be discussing each month one bookish subject here. I had a blast working with her, and I can't wait what subject she will be discussing next month! Hope you'll love this first monthly post!



Hiya everyone!
So, you may be wondering – who is this strange imposter on this wonderful blog? Well, hi! I’m Holly, from Bookahollyic! I review YA books on my blog, bookahollyic.blogspot.com, and when I saw Maha say she wanted some guest bloggers, I jumped at the chance, and, well, here I am! My favourite book is Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, my favourite author is Rainbow Rowell, and my favourite series is Harry Potter as J. K. Rowelling is my queen. I should be posting here once a month, and I will be happy to do so! So, to today’s topic. I will be discussing books people dislike the most, and hyped books people generally do not like! So let’s get on with it!
I went researching for the most unpopular books, and I probably shouldn’t have been so surprised by the one with the most votes. According to http://bookriot.com, Twilight by Stephanie Meyer is the most unpopular book, followed by bestsellers such as Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and (rightfully so, in my opinion) Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James. Also, there we many classics such as The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Lord of the Flies by William Golding and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Maybe it’s because they are they are legitimately disliked, or maybe they had to read it in school. Whatever the reason, I have heard both bad things and good things about these books.

I love how I’m writing this instead of my English Essay on Shakespeare, which I probably should get done.
For this next part, I was really stuck. I had no idea what to talk about? So, I went on to Instagram, and asked “What popular books don’t you like?” Here are the results, with the Instagram accounts tagged.

@_acciobooks_  didn't like The Fault in Our Stars, The Hunger Games and Divergent. TFIOS was kind of flat and she didn’t like the characters. THG was kinda boring for her. Divergent was a cool idea, but kind of irritating.
@sydneymicho didn't like The Hunger Games. 
@mirandasbooks didn't like The Fault in Our Stars.
@stylereads_ didn't like Paper Towns. Every time she reaches 100 pages, it just bores the hell out of her. The pace is ridiculously slow.
@kevinsbooks didn't like Divergent He honestly thought it was boring and slow most of the time.
@scatteredpages didn't like An Abundance of Katherines.
@younicornreads didn't like Ruby Red and Eragon. she just couldn’t get into them.
@tea.lover.books didn't like Hush Hush, Anna and the French Kiss, The Girl on the Train and The Sea of Tranquillity.
@misguidedhoudini doesn't like any books about vampires and werewolves. The storyline is cliché. The endings have to be the creature falling in love with the human.
@addictivebooks didn't like The Huger Games.
@booksandtales didn't like We Were Liars. 

From these results, it seems that The Huger Games wins most unpopular hyped book, and John Green is the most unpopular hyped author, getting three of his books on the shortlist (which consisted in 12 books total). There were also 16 votes total, meaning ¼ of the votes were on a John Green novel. Pretty outstanding, if I say so myself.
Ok, so we’re done! I hope you enjoyed reading me post, and I’ll see you next month!
See ya,

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have anything to say about this post? Leave your message here!